From time to time schools have to handle complaints from parents and other service users on a wide range of subjects from admissions, exclusions and special educational needs to bullying or problems with a teacher. Usually such concerns can be resolved early on, but sometimes governors need to be involved.
- Identify which procedure is used for which type of complaint
- Consider the requirement to have a formal school complaints procedure and what an effective and fair procedure should cover
- Consider the concept of ‘reasonableness’
- What is a complaint? How is it defined? Consider a system to monitor and record complaints – should this be reported to governors?
- Identify good practice in holding a complaint hearing
- Consider the role of other bodies (eg Ofsted) in terms of parental concerns about schools.
All governors, but of particular interest to governors who may be involved in a complaints panel